setting up mortgage liability and paying it off from a check account asset...

Morgan Read mstuff at read.org.nz
Sat Jan 14 07:34:37 EST 2017

On 13/01/17 16:40, David T. wrote:

>>> Note: GnuCash follows accounting practice in using the terms “Credit”
>>> and “Debit.” See:
>>>
>>> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/basics-accounting1.html#basics-accountingdouble2
>>>
>> Thanks Peter, Buddha and David - I think I've got it sorted now.  David,
>> yes - I was half expecting a RTFM, so thanks for the pointer :-)
>>

> Morgan,
>
> Honestly, I was just noting the somewhat difficult terminological challenges that accounting (and GnuCash) offers mortals. I know I still can’t keep them straight.
>
> David
Mantra from my intro to book-keeping:
*1 An account goes into credit when money is taken from it because that
account is now a creditor to the debtor account to which it went;
*2 An account goes into debit when money is given to it because that
account is now a debtor to the creditor account from which it came

Double entry is fine when you're dealing with both entries 1 and 2, but
when you only look at one side of the equation it all looks a little
weird...

I really don't mind being told to read manuals - what's good for the
goose is good for the gander - I often suggest my wife read the manual...

Cheers
Morgan Read
United Kingdom
<mailto:mstuffATreadDOTorgDOTnz>