How safe is GnuCash?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sat Jan 14 09:10:42 EST 2017

On 1/14/2017 1:59 AM, Dean Gibson wrote:
> I don't want to start another discussion about the data store being
> SQL-based, but it certainly makes external auditing easier, I'd think.
>
> I thought I've had reading all this, is if gnucash could package each
> year's data into a separate file, and then read them as necessary to
> to view (or possibly change) older data.  Properly done:

> 1. This would help performance.
> 2. The older files, once audited, could be securely backed up
>    separately, and then compared as needed to their peers still in
>    use.  It would make detecting prior year changes trivial.
>
> Secure backups, once audited, are key component of the idea, it seems
> to me.

It can. Actually you don't need gnucash to produce the copy of the YE
file. Let me ask you a question. You DO make backups, yes? You know how
you would make more than one copy of a backup, yes? How to burn that
onto medium that once done cannot be altered, yes?

While I haven't ever worked with "mini" SQL,  (I did mainframe SQL; DB2
utilities) I am sure there is a way to backup/restore them. BTW, even
here there are chances to "mess" with the data. I once had occasion to
change an SQL database by making  a backup, modifying the backup, and
then restoring from that  << mass entering of test data into a test
database for a new system rather than having scads of humans hand enter
this data row by row --- we are talking about LOTS of rows >> So even
here, be not too trustful unless the data has been PHYSICALLY out of reach.

Michael