How safe is GnuCash?

Securenym.net wroberts at securenym.net
Sat Jan 14 13:31:09 EST 2017

On point you are correct.  Nothing is safe.  On a computer or otherwise.  Anything can be altered, if one has a mind to do so, whether or not they have legitimate access.  That can be bought, given enough time and money.   However, just as we cannot have perfect and complete safety in life, in accounting, in whatever, we can also provide reasonable, though never absolute assurances of safety, which I think the SQL databases do provide.  With appropriate administrative controls, they are a little closer, but the cost of absolute security is so high that we would never accomplish anything.  Anything built by man can be altered, albeit with difficulty in some cases, with ease in others.  Even if there is extreme physical security.  This too can be compromised given enough time and resource applied.

So, we do our best.  I think for the purposes of accounting, which is what Kai asked about, it is as safe as anything out there, with the SQL implementation.  I do not believe that the question was about, “can this system ever be broken/cracked?” It was:  is gnucash safe enough to be useful (it is, in my opinion), is it safe enough to meet external auditor’s demands (it could be in my opinion but may take a bit of RDB programming to achieve this).  Otherwise, get your checkbook out, because with the criteria listed below, not a single accounting system ever written or to be written will meet them.

To meet your criteria, one would have to disconnect systems from the networks, place them inside a faraday cage with an isolated power supply, and insure that three trusted people are present at all times.  The code would have to be verified on a line-by-line basis, just for starters.  Same with the OS.  Microsoft will be a dismal fail here, but what about the others?  A review of the OS team’s bug and security update databases show there is always one more bug to find and fix.  The expense of operation is enormous, and the cost of gnucash is, well, it’s less than that.  And I think it’s pretty good at what it does do.