A crucial GNUCash feature that is missing, but easy to implement for budgets

Steven Miller Smille89_K at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 15 10:23:27 EST 2017

I am referring to YTD variances.  There would be a couple of ways of going about it.  The easiest and first thing to do would be to have the YTD variances show up at the bottom of each month in the "budget report" for the specified period  (at the bottom you would have totals for actual expenses, budgeted expenses, and the variance.  These totals would reflect YTD.  The only values that would change dynamically would be the actual and variance totals as the budget values are set in the budget itself.  This would give you an overall YTD or running total of how you was doing on a month to month basis, which honestly, I don't know how anyone could track a budget effectively without doing this).  Having this all in one view (the budget report) would extremely useful and would increase the value of the budget report enormously.

The next thing that could be done could be to extend the above feature to have YTD for each account (you could think of them as viewing the accounts as categories in this context), but my original inquiry was for the feature described in the first paragraph.  If all that was implemented was what is described in the first paragraph then I would be happy.  Anything further would be bonus feature [😊] .

-Steven