Which report am I looking for?

Tracy tracy at arisiasoft.com
Sun Jan 15 22:23:45 EST 2017

I've poked a bit at the reports menu, but I can't find one that really
does what I'm looking for - either that, or I can't figure which one to
customize (and what customization would be needed) to produce the
information I am looking for...

What I am trying to do is to produce a report against a single expense
account, subtotaled by "Description" and broken down by month over the
selected period.

For example, let's say we are looking at Expense.Dining, for
transactions over the last year. I would like to have a monthly
breakdown on each Description entry (for example, a total for each month
for all the transactions with Description "McDonalds", "Burger King",
etc... Something like:

January:

     McDonalds      $274.52

     Burger King     $192.33

     <etc>

February:

     McDonalds    $192.17

     Burger King   $62.81

     <etc>

March:

And so on....

So which of the reports should I look at, and what suggestions can you
offer for customizing it to produce a report of this nature?

Any help would be appreciated.