A crucial GNUCash feature that is missing, but easy to implement for budgets

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Jan 17 13:21:52 EST 2017

Op dinsdag 17 januari 2017 22:34:00 CET schreef David T.:
> > On Jan 17, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote: I wonder if the space in "Application Support" is causing issues.
> > For testing, can you store the report somewhere in a path without spaces
> > and try to load it from there ? I'm aware this is not a good final
> > solution. However I'm looking for causes to fix.
> >
> > In addition, please check the contents of the trace file at each failure.
> >
> > Geert
>
> Geert,
>
> No joy. Putting the file in /users/david and referring to it there did not
> give positive results, and replacing the file in standard-reports restored
> it.
>
> The trace file appears to be the same in each iteration. I get a number of
> errors as attached; the values after the catch-closures vary, but the
> line:character references remain the same. I do not know whether these are
> errors that can be ignored (or even what they mean!).
>
> TIA,
> David

> ERROR: In procedure apply-smob/1:
> ERROR: In procedure scm_from_stringn: Error while printing exception.
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>  157: 7 [catch #t #<catch-closure d18d640> ...]
> In unknown file:
>    ?: 6 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure d18d640>]
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>  157: 5 [catch #t #<catch-closure e3348e0> #<catch-closure e3348d0> #f]
> In unknown file:
>    ?: 4 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure e3348e0>]
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>  171: 3 [with-throw-handler #t #<catch-closure e334870> #<catch-closure
> e334860>] In unknown file:
>    ?: 2 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure e334870>]
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>  102: 1 [#<procedure d8461c0 at ice-9/boot-9.scm:97:6 (thrown-k . args)>
> decoding-error ...] In unknown file:
>    ?: 0 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure e334860> decoding-error ...]

Hi David,

I'm afraid I've never seen this before. The way I interpret is that while
attempting to load the report guile encounters an error and wants to throw an
exception. I don't know which exception that is because this triggers another
error due to which the trace can't be printed properly. This error a
'decoding-error'. So from the little info available here it seems guile
encounters an invalid character somewhere while trying to load this report.
I'm afraid I don't know where or why.

One final thing to try is to clear the guile compile cache. Unfortunately I
don't know either where this is located on OS X. Perhaps John can help with
this.

Geert