A response from my UK accountant about using GnuCash rather than KashFlow or VT transaction.

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 15:27:53 EST 2017

I thought this might interest some - especially anyone in the UK,
considering using GnuCash.

I run a Limited Liability company in the UK. I had used Excel for the last
two years, but was not happy with that. I asked my accountant about
suggestions for software. He wrote

"The systems that I recommend are Kashflow (online based) or VT transaction
(system based)."

I've looked a GnuCash myself, and would prefer the open-source solution to
the online  Kashflow

https://www.kashflow.com/
(currently £13 + VAT per month)

or VT transaction, which runs on a Windows PC.

http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/tranplus/

(Currently £199 for the 1st years license and support, and £150 for
subsequent years).

Before making any decisions about this though, I thought I'd run it past my
accountant. I mentioned it could export CSV files. The "self assessment"
deadline in the UK is the end of January, so this explains his last
sentence.

================
Hi David,

Thank you for your emails and taking the time to research into this so
thoroughly. I never try to push a system onto my clients as I appreciate
that each client will have different requirements or preferences.

I am more than happy to support you in the transition to this system and am
particularly pleased that downloads can be done via CSV. Whilst it would be
ideal to produce the final accounts using this system that may not be
possible as it is unlikely to provide accounting notations and / or the
flexibility to make the adjustments for regulatory compliance (kashflow or
many of the other systems available on the market do not provide this
either).

I am busy most of January due to the tax return deadline but intend to take
a detailed look in February if that's okay.

Thanks

xxxxxxx