Importing prior transactions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jan 18 13:44:28 EST 2017

   Reading the gnucash-help section on importing .qif files does not answer my
question. I believe the answer is 'yes' and would like that confirmed or
refuted.

   It's early enough this year for me to manually enter all January
transactions into gnucash from the jgnash software I've been using. Then I
can use gnucash from now on.

   I have the .qif format information and can export accounts from jgnash as
.csv files, then translate them with a brief awk script. Because all
transactions have dates (and the checking account transactions also have
check numbers) I assume that I can import all these 2016 and earlier
transactions into gnucash in the correct order; that is, prior to the 2017
transactions.

   Is my assumption correct?

TIA,

Rich