Trial Balance 2.6.15

Michael mjchurchil at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 19:28:39 EST 2017

I spent a bit of time cleaning up my capital gains and losses using the
"lots" method described in the Tutorial and Concepts Guide using
GC-2.6.14 on linux mint 18.1.  I used the trial-balance report suggested
in the Tutorial to help guide this process.  It took a while to run each
time, but was very useful in pointing me toward gain/loss transactions
that I had missed.

However, when I ran a trial balance in 2.6.15 it was not usable,
apparently because it defaults to "nearest in time" for commodity
pricing, rather than "average cost" as in 2.6.14; I only got one total,
not two.  Apparently there was a problem with zero-share accounts; I got
two columns of numbers if I deselected all zero-balance accounts.  The
issue is that when I set up the trial-balance report in 2.6.15 to match
the 2.6.14 report and run it on the dataset that balanced in 14, it no
longer balances. Looking at the trial-balance.scm source file, the only
difference I can find is the default setting for commodity price, which
I changed in the set-up to match the setting I used in 14.

The "lots" approach made this effort relatively easy, but I do not see
what could be causing the difference in behavior.

Mike Churchill