Accounting Question | Reselling Old Equipment?

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 20:59:22 EDT 2017

Any net gain from the sale would go in an income account (likely some kind of capital gain).  That’s assuming the equipment was capitalized in the first place.  An old mobile phone is small enough (value) that when it was purchased this was likely purely an expense item.  In the case of a somewhat more expensive item (say a personal computer), that would have been purchased not as an expense but as an asset (drawing from cash, a bank account or credit card to do so), and then ideally it would have been depreciated some over time before being sold.  [the depreciation being an annual expense].   Then at the time of sale, the asset value is reduced to zero, and the remainder (positive or negative) to balance the money received would be income/expense.

R. Victor Klassen
rvklassen at gmail.com
226-792-0733