New Mac Upgrade

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jul 3 10:31:19 EDT 2017

> On Jul 3, 2017, at 5:50 AM, John Donnee <jdonnee at ec.rr.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, today I received an email about the latest Mac upgrade.
>
> 1. I have not done an upgrade since 2014
> 2. My system is stable and running well
>
> 3. Does it make sense to do the new upgrade?
> 4. Can I go from my 2014 version directly to this new Mac version.

Whether it makes sense depends on your usage. We’ve fixed a lot of bugs and made some things easier to do particularly when dealing with foreign currencies, but also made a few things harder like getting a trial balance to balance when one has multiple buys and sells of a stock.

The data is fully forward-compatible and mostly backward compatible; there are a few new features that will create data that an older version won’t be able to read.

GnuCash on a mac is a self-contained bundle so you can easily try out the new version without deleting the old one, just keep them in different folders. After trying it out for a bit just drag the one you don’t want to the trash.

Regards,
John Ralls