Using multiple accounts in single file

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Jul 12 05:49:42 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 09:19:01 BST Matthew wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am relatively new so am trying to understand some of the concepts.
>
> I have created a single Gnucash file for my household accounts.  So this
> includes my personal account, my wife's personal account and our joint
> account.
>
> I want to produce a report which shows the income / expenditure for my
> wife's account only.  However, the report I use will show combined
> Expense accounts (ie those which are written to by other accounts).
>
> For example 'Expenses:Food': both my personal account and my wife's
> personal account have recorded expenses against 'Expenses:Food', so how
> do I separate only the expenditure by my wife in this category?  I guess
> it cannot be done without separate Expense accounts, which indicates
> that perhaps I should use a different File altogether, instead of trying
> to combine multiple accounts into one file.  What is the best practice?
>
> Regards
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,

welcome to GC & the list.

Without looking at GC (so the option names may not be quite right)

Transaction Report... pull up the options... first tab...

Select Accounts you want to report on (ie Expenses:Food etc)

Then the magic...

Filter By... Wife's Bank Account
 and set Include Txns from selected accounts

There may be other ways too, such as report on expenses, then subtotal by
"other account" in the sorting tab.

HTH,
Maf.