Improving auto-matching to accounts on QIF/CSV import

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 13 19:15:03 EDT 2017

Hi,

"Rich Stanton" <richstanton at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I use import data from various accounts into gnucash, either as CSV or
> QIF. For some accounts, the system by which it guesses what account to
> assign a transaction to (bills, cash withdrawal etc) seems to work fairly
> well, for others it fails dismally. As far as I can tell, it looks for an
> exact match in the description, so where I have a bank that adds individual
> transaction info (amount, date) to the description, gnucash never guesses an
> account match. Is there a setting to alter this? Ideally, to tell gnucash to
> try guessing based on the first half of the description only maybe?

Sorry, no.  The QIF importer only performs full-string matching.

Your best bet is to pre-process the file (perhaps using perl), and then
add a category or account using the QIF 'L' tag.  Then GnuCash will let
you map the category/account to a GnuCash account.

Hope this helps.