Copying many transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 14 13:56:47 EDT 2017

Hi,

azalea4va <common17 at azalea.name> writes:

> I have ported over years of data from Quicken to gnucash.  But there are
> transition issues.  One is I have a brokerage account that now shows many
> entries for dividend payments. So I have 100's of transactions with a
> transfer from account B to A where A is the transaction account and B is the
> mutual fund account that is receiving the dividend.  What I want is a
> matching transaction from an Income account to the brokerage account.  So if
> a dividend of $20 is paid, there is a $20 transaction from C to B
> (InComeDividend -> Brokerage) and another $20 transaction from B to A.  I
> have the latter, the former is what I need to create.
>
> I tried exporting all the B->A transaction to a CSV file, then re-importing
> them it the income file (where I would either change the destination from A
> to B in gnucash or in the CSV file before importing). I cannot get that to
> work.  Anytime I try to import a CSV file that gnucash exports, it does not
> work.  It seems the CSV file gnucash exports is not compatible with being
> imported back into gnucash. Am I doing something wrong or is this a weird
> incosistency in how gnucash deals with imports/exports?
>
> Any other ideas on how to copy a large number of transactions efficently?

There is no way to act en-masse on transactions except in one corner
case, which is if you delete an account you can move *all* the
transactions from that account into another account.  Beyond that one
corner case, there is no way to operate on multiple transactions.

Your best bet may be to create a QIF file that contains the transactions
you want and then import that file.