budget with ytd difference option and ?improved? readability

azalea4va common17 at azalea.name
Wed Jul 19 22:33:32 EDT 2017

There were two things in the existing budget report facility that I found
lacking: its readability and the fact that the difference column showed the
difference for the time period and not the difference YTD.  So I made some
modifications to the standard budget.scm to create budget-plus.scm with a
budget stylesheet. There is an option to have the Diff field display YTD
difference instead of period difference.  The budget stylesheet has
modifications that allow for a different background color in cells
identified as being "Totals" cells.  I tag each alternate time period column
as a total column so I can improve readability with alternating background
colors.  (I first implemented by defing a new style tag, but that broke
using budget-plus with any of the pre-defined stylesheets.  So I kludged
using the "totals" tag.)

I would like to also have an option for displaying budget values rounded to
the nearest whole amount (no decimals) and to eliminate the currency symbol,
making the info provided more concise.   But figuring out how to do that was
proving to be beyond my knowledge of scm and the code base.

The two scm files can be include in the .gnucash directory and loaded by
including the following two lines in config.user

I also include a screenshot showing a sample budget using the ?improved?
budget tool and what a report would look like without decimal places and
currency symbol if that got implemented.
budget-plus.scm
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4692751/budget-plus.scm>
stylesheet-budget-plus.scm
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4692751/stylesheet-budget-plus.scm>