Tracking a TIAA mixed fund account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 00:17:10 EDT 2017

I may be misunderstanding,  but it seems like the following would work:
Assets:TIAA (cash)Assets:TIAA:Lifecycle 1 (commodity)Assets:TIAA:Lifecycle 2 (commodity)Assets:TIAA:TIAA Mutual Fund (commodity)
My experience of the so called "Lifecycle" funds is that they are just like any other mutual funds.
When I handle payroll deductions, the dollars go into the cash account, and a separate purchase transaction moves the cash into fund shares. It's a little cumbersome, but it allows me to ensure that the right numbers get in.
HTH, David

  On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:38, AC<gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:   I want to start tracking my TIAA retirement portfolio for informational
purposes (no reporting needs, filings, etc.) but I need some suggestions
on structuring the account trees so that it doesn't affect my existing
accounts.  However, possibly later I'll edit things so that the paycheck
contributions are directed accordingly so I'd want the new accounts to
allow that eventually (i.e. for now I'll add contributions manually
using a virtual source and eventually go back through and move those to
withdraw from my paycheck, the amount withheld is already accounted)

The trick with my TIAA portfolio is that it has three different products
within it.  Two of them are TIAA funds (one of the lifecycle multi-asset
funds) that does not have a breakdown of the individual holdings (like a
mutual fund).  These two only document the employer contributions, my
contributions, shares and interest/dividends.  The third product is a
TIAA mutual fund for which the individual holdings are broken out with
all the same data as a typical mutual fund (shares, prices, etc.)

What I expect to have is some type of top-level account that tracks the
overall value of the portfolio in dollars and then either within that or
somewhere nearby an account or account tree for each of the three
products.  At first I had considered just making the two TIAA funds into
an account that was basically a mutual fund with a single holding but I
wasn't quite sure how to combine that with the one real mutual fund when
each of the three funds receives different amounts of contributions and
individual dividends.  Perhaps it would be a top-level account then
three sub-accounts that are all mutual funds with two of them having one
holding and the last is the broken out holding?

I don't plan on using this for any official reporting (I get those
documents already), and I don't plan on downloading statements, quotes,
or anything else.  I'll just manually track things as my statements come
in and I enter the data from those, perhaps updating symbol share prices
manually if I'm interested at a particular time.  I don't currently use
much reporting as is with my existing accounts except an occasional cash
flow report so as long as that isn't affected I'm fine.  I do currently
have a mutual fund being tracked so I want to be careful not to cause
trouble for that either.