For UK users: Will gnucash get ready for Making Tax Digital ?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 12:39:29 EDT 2017

On 25 July 2017 at 15:21, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > https://hmrcdigital.blog.gov.uk/2016/07/14/talking-openly-at
> -open-source-16/
>
> That talk is about how much HMRC enjoys using software that they don’t
> have to pay for and how they’ve published some of their web code on GitHub.
> It doesn’t say anything about them accepting FOSS programs into MTD.
>

> > On Jul 25, 2017, at 1:43 AM, Mike Evans <mikee at saxicola.co.uk> wrote:
> > For those interested in developing.
> >
> > https://developer.service.hmrc.gov.uk/api-documentation <
> https://developer.service.hmrc.gov.uk/api-documentation>
>

> Which has no information on MTD. All of the APIs documented there are for
> getting information *from* HMRC, not sending them information.
>
> It *does* have information about their authentication system, which uses
> the fairly standard “server key” or OAuth key. These keys are per-program
> and completely preclude open-source software because there is no way for an
> open-source project to distribute them without compromising them.
>
> There’s another problem with “approving” an open-source program: What are
> you approving and how does an instance prove that it is the approved code,
> nothing more and nothing less?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

OK, a better link - a guide for software developers

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/basic-guide-for-
software-developers

Reading one of the links

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/
attachment_data/file/382943/sd-inductionpack.pdf

it appears that HMRC  provide technical support, and both online and
offline validation servers.

It would not go GnuCash any harm to be listed as supported software on a
government website of the worlds 5th or 6th largest economy. That would
give the "commercial" software companies something they would not expect.

If you wanted John, I would not mind phoning and asking whether support
would be provided to open-source software, and if there are any fees for
submitting software for validation. But as one of the lead developers, if
you feel it is not something that would or could be developed, it would be
pointless me wasting my time.

Dave