For UK users: Will gnucash get ready for Making Tax, Digital ?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jul 26 23:03:45 EDT 2017

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 5:52 PM, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> GnuCash does not currently (to my knowledge) support any
> jurisdiction-specify tax policy or reporting requirements. To do so for one
> would imply that it should do so for all, and that is a maintenance
> nightmare. As such, I think it more likely that someone would write a
> program that can take reports or data that GnuCash can already generate
> (CSV exports? OFX exports?) and uploads the necessary info to HMRC.

GnuCash can generate TXF files that certain US and German tax prep software can support. Alex Aycinena maintains the former and Christian Stimming the latter, but Christian has had real life intervene and doesn’t at present have time to contribute code to GnuCash so I suspect that the German version is out of date.

If anyone else would like to contribute a similar report for their country we’ll be happy to add it to the distribution, but one should bear in mind that doing so is a commitment to maintain it with typically annual updates.

That applies to MTD as well: Of our current regular contributors only Mike Evans is British; if he’s not motivated to develop the support someone else from the UK will have to step up or it won’t happen.

Regards,
John Ralls