GNUCash as a maintenance project?

Keith Gallagher kgallagher at fit.edu
Wed Jul 26 11:13:01 EDT 2017

 hello.

Keith Gallagher here, software engineering faculty at Florida Inst. of Technology. This coming term I am teaching an advanced course in software maintenance and evolution; upper division undergraduates  and graduate students are enrolled. (10-12 at this point)

I'm looking for a course project, something I can set the whole class on to work on as a team.   I am looking for something that is mature, with lots of releases,   has a large and ongoing user community,  and, of course, has lots of  "issues" that need to be addressed!  I have contacted Brad Kuhn, and old student of mine,  and he suggested GNUCash as a possibility.

 All of the students in the class are familiar with open source rubrics and guidelines and use of  appropriate repositories.

 But before I send a collection of people  to meddle in the work, I would like to have the approval of the community,  and any guidelines or suggestions  (or help) that you might have  or wish to offer.  For instance: should we do this is a group? Should we do this is a collection of individuals? Etc? Etc.?
 The caveat is that once the term is over, it is highly unlikely that any of the individuals involved will continue to contribute.  But I can guarantee,  yes guarantee,  that we won't leave it worse than we found it ;-)  and that every issue  that is tackled will be = thoroughly=  vetted and approved before  a merge is requested.

 thanks for listening.

-k

http://web2.fit.edu/faculty/profiles/profile.php?tracks=kgallagher

http://cs.fit.edu/~kgallagher/