Name Does Not Show in Posts

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 27 21:46:13 EDT 2017

At Thu, 27 Jul 2017 22:12:52 -0300 Adonay Felipe Nogueira <adfeno at openmailbox.org> wrote:

> I don't know how GNU Mailman works internally, but I guess that it's
> used in cases where no nameing information is provided in the "From:"
> field.

No. As others have said, it is used mostly for admin uses -- so the list
admins have a "real name" for E-Mail addresses.  And it is possible to allow
list members see the member list and this info is displayed in that case as
well.  Mailman does not add that info to the headers.  That is always left to
the client mail software, and is entirely configured by settings available to
end-users.

> However, I noticed that your messages, prior to the fix, did provide a
> name in that field. The "From:" field has the following syntax:
>
> "Real Name in Quotes" <real-name at some-email-provider.something-else>
>
> Or without a name:
>
> real-name at some-email-provider.something-else
>
> However, in your case it was like this:
>
> "real-name at some-email-provider.something-else" <real-name at some-email-provider.something-else>

Some E-Mail providers provide a "default" value for the Real Name, which is
just the E-Mail address (not partitularly useful, but works as a placeholder).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933