Accounting for contractors using GnuCash?

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 23:27:56 EDT 2017

I have an interesting solution for recording mileage within Gnucash.

I presume you have something like Expenses:Business:Travels already set up
in your local currency.

You could create an account called Expenses:Business:Mileage in currency
XXX, and it will contain only mileage records. It doesn't require double
entry recording, therefore all transactions will not balance with an asset
or liability account, but with Equity:Mileage, also currency XXX.

You can then amend the currency symbol to "mi" or "km".

Gnucash will count and report on your annual mileage appropriately.

Try and see if it works well for you.

Devs, I would hope that XXX does not receive special handling internally.
If it does just use any other unused currency.