Accounting for contractors using GnuCash?

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Fri Jul 28 23:38:16 EDT 2017

I do something like what Christopher suggests.  I have several expense
accounts (Expenses:1stScheduleC:Mileage,
Expenses:2ndScheduleC:Mileage) and the receiving account can be
whatever you like.

Description for each transaction is something like:

2017 Mileage Rate Business Expenses

Memo would be:

39.4 Miles X 2 X $0.535 Correspondence, Deliveries

$0.535 is the IRS mileage rate for that year.

I then put in $42.15 (which is 39.4*2*.535) in the expense column, and
the same amount in the transfer account.

You then have to divide the total amount by the mileage rate when you
do taxes to give you the number of miles.  So maybe Christopher's way
is better.

Gordon