Methods to Track Gift Cards and Similar Items

Timothy B. Taylor taylortb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 17:24:29 EDT 2017

Here's an example from my experience:

I purchased some new appliances for my kitchen and received a gift card in
return.

The value of the gift card became a new Asset:Gift-Card that I balanced
against a reduction in my existing Expenses:Appliances. So the net of
Expenses:Appliances showed me what those appliances really cost me.

Then when I used the gift card, for example to buy groceries, it was a
reduction in Asset:Gift-Card balanced against an increase in
Expenses:Groceries.

Eventually (actually pretty quickly) the value of Asset:Gift-Card reached
zero, and was easily hidden from my asset list when I got tired of looking
at it.

Tim

Timothy B. Taylor • taylortb at gmail.com • (571) 252-9024 •
http://taylortb.com