GNUCash value proposition

Lincoln A Baxter lab at lincolnbaxter.com
Sun Jun 4 22:21:54 EDT 2017

If we all had the time and discipline to enter every transaction as it
was made, this is all true. Entering transactions as they are made is
very hard, and without a client that you carry with you it is virtually
impossible, even if one existed, it would be tedious. The fact is the
Bank is that application, they do it for you.  They HAVE to!  The
reason import exists and is widely used (I do), is that it saves the
time of entering all the transactions.

That said, I review every transaction I import before I complete the
import.  If I don't recognize/remember a transaction, I research it to
verify if I (or my wife) made it and what it was for.  I do this as
part of assigning transactions to balancing accounts.

I do this for both the Baysian matched tranactions (some transactions
it never gets right), and for the unmatched transactions.  When I find
things out of balance, it is almost always because a transaction was
not matched by the Baysian matcher, which then becomes a double
transaction in the account, or not imported. In the end I believe I
would catch fraud if it occurred. The Bank's math has never been wrong.

There are two wishes I have for the transaction import review window
that would improve this experience:

1) I wish I could edit descriptions, this would be a HUGE improvement,
over trying to remember to go back and find them and edit them
afterwards.

2) I could split transactions in the import window... Same reasons...
but if I could edit transaction descriptions, I would be able to find
them more easily after import, and then split them. I use the imbalance
account to do this when I have to, but it has the draw back of
confusing the Bayesian matcher.

I'll bet the later (2) is harder than the former. The former would save
a bunch of time.

Lincoln