GNUCash value proposition

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:47:51 EDT 2017

I started out with GnuCash casually and quickly found that approach was going to get me in trouble. (or at least make the effort useless)

I now get receipts for everything possible and make it a point to enter them every day. (usually the next morning when my memory is fresh)

It really is not difficult or a pain since it is rarely I have to enter more than 3 or 4 transactions. Keeping current also prevents large accumulations to ‘miscellaneous’ because I can’t remember where cash went.

Certainly a full mobile app would be nice, but the present situation is not impossible.

The only inconvenience is that suddenly (within the last 3 months) it seems there is a disease amongst cashiers to either not print, not offer, or throw away an auto-printed receipt. I’ve had to make the habit of asking for one for each transaction. While this has been an issue on rare occasion in the past, it seems some critical mass was reached this spring and now this is an issue in about 90%+ of all my transactions. It’s quite disconcerting.

As for downloading transactions from financial institutions, the best application I can see for this is NOT to have them entered into GnuCash for me, but rather to use in the reconciliation process. Instead of doing this on a periodic (monthly) basis, it could be done as transactions are posted by the bank. That way, there is a ‘running reconciliation’ always in progress. THAT I could see as taking full advantage of interconnectivity. Periodic reconciling against statements is to me, still the old ‘pen and paper’ mode of accounting that computers should be able to improve upon.