Reconciling an account

Dale Alspach alspachde at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 16:24:15 EDT 2017

Some possibilities that have not been mentioned:

Old uncleared/unreconciled transactions will alter the suggested balance.

You entered and cleared a transaction that is not readily visible because
the date is long past. Note this can happen by editing a transaction in
another account.

Gnucash helped you enter the interest but did not mark it in the
reconciliation window,

A reconciliation was not properly completed.

The statement contains charges that are listed separately from the normal
transactions, e.g., an annual fee or special transaction fee.

Things to try:

Check that in the account register all of the previously reconciled
transactions are really marked "y".

Does the running balance in the gnucash account register agree with the
last reconciliation (previous statement balance) after manually adjusting
for uncleared transaction from before the previous statement ending date?
If so, repeat the process with the current statement. (Is the problem in
the transactions or in the execution of the gnucash reconcile?)

When I have trouble with reconciliation, it is often from accidentally
skipping over transactions on the statement. This is less likely when the
number of transactions is small. I find that scrolling through an on screen
statement is particularly prone to this. Sometimes I have resorted to
printing two copies of the statement. One time I check-off the statement
transactions that have a matching gnucash transaction using the statement
as the source; the second time I use the gnucash transactions as the source
and check-off the matching statement transactions.

Dale