New PC

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Wed Jun 7 09:35:26 EDT 2017

On 6/7/2017 7:34 AM, Edwin Humphreys wrote:
> I have GnuCash on an old PC, which I am now replacing. I can download
> GnuCash onto the new PC, but how do I transfer my old finance details? I
> have found nothing about this in your documentation or FAQs.
>
>   Thank you,
>
> Dwin Tudor

You neglected to say whether the new computer will be under the SAME
operating system, and if not, whether you were familiar with the new
operating system. BTW, this is more  a question about ALL of the data in
your old computer, not just the gnucash data.

a) If the same operating system, and if you are choosing the same user
name(s) as on the old, you can simply do a restore from backup << the
backup that has ALL of your data >> because everything would be going
into the same path(s) as on the old one.

b) If not the same operating system, a bit trickier. Whenever I do this
I am usually unfamiliar with the new operating system, not sure whether
everything should go (what the NEW path(s) will be). In that case, as I
am installing software on the new machine, I take a look to see where
data (from that application) goes. Now I know where to copy the data
from that backup.

Michael D Novack