Problem with balance sheet and transaction reports

Pierre Maitre po.maitre at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 17:24:49 EDT 2017

[SOLVED]
Thanks to everyone for your answers.
I proceeded as Adrien suggested and found that there was a problem
each time I had a transaction in a different currency (EUR). In fact,
the transactions in foreign currency were not "translated" into the
local currency in the report, and therefore Gnucash could not
calculate the Total.

 I checked the Currency Exchange Rate with the Price Editor, and
everything was OK. In the Report Editor, the default choice for the
exchange rate was "Volume weighted average cost of purchase", and I
changed it for "Price recorded nearest in time to the report date"....
and that made it! My balance sheet is now OK.
Still, I believe that this is a bug in my version of Gnucash.

I still have Gnucash crashing with large transactions report involving
 many years (4 or more). This may be corrected if I upgrade to a newer
version, as Geert Janssens suggested. So far, I can live with it.

Thanks to everyone

Pierre