Installment Payment Plans & Bills Due Reminder

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 21:35:51 EDT 2017

Not sure if this is possible, but has anyone worked out a way to get the Bills Due Reminder to trigger that a payment is due on a loan or other type of installment plan?

Particularly, this issue comes up with insurance that is charged all at once, but paid for in monthly installments. (and then expensed as ‘used’ each month)

I can’t see any way to generate a bill due reminder.

I can enter the full amount of the insurance bill and then just pay the monthly amount and let the Bills Due Reminder subtract it as I go. (showing the full balance due) But that doesn’t show me that any particular monthly payment is due, just the full amount. (or remaining balance)

I tried bringing a liability account into the mix, because technically the insurance is paid for me and then I’m paying on an installment plan. (with usually a small monthly service charge for the convenience)

But unless there is some magic that happens by setting up the liability as a type Credit Card or type Loan, it doesn’t seem possible to get a reminder for when that installment is due.

(type Loan won’t seem to work anyway since it demands an interest rate, no service fees, and insists on compound as opposed to upfront or simple interest)

How is anyone else handling this scenario?

Thanks in advance,

Adrien