Inability to correct GBP value for Euro priced shares

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jun 8 10:04:09 EDT 2017

Hi Eric,

Are you sure you're getting the correct price for the shares?

There's a stock called AIR which is (presently) USD 34.64, and given the
current $/£ rate makes 89 shares worth around £4k.

You may be after the stock AIR.PA, showing right now as €73.50

gnc-fq-dump yahoo_europe AIR.PA

Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: AIR.PA               <=== required
      date: 06/08/2017           <=== recommended
  currency: EUR                  <=== required
      last: 73.50                <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 73.50                <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

HTH,
Maf.

On Thursday, 8 June 2017 14:36:07 BST Eric Coates wrote:
> 8th June 2017
>
> I’m having trouble with getting a valuation (in pounds sterling –
> hereafter GBP – I am based in the UK) for a share I own that is priced
> in Euros.
>
> To bore you with the details my original account listing was of this form:
>
> Assets
>
>  >My Assets
>  >
>  >>My Portfolio
>  >>
>  >>>My Cash
>  >>>
>  >>>My Shares
>  >>>
>  >>>>Airbus Group
>  >>>>
>  >>>> Standard GBP denominated shares
>
> etc etc
>
> At this point everything except “Airbus Group” was denominated in GBPs,
> Airbus Group was denominated in Euros.
>
> I noticed the problem when I realised that value of the Airbus Group
> shares (in the column headed "Present(GBP)"was given as £3989 but the
> real value should be 89(the number of shares)*€73.07(the value of each
> share)*0.87(the Euro to GBP exchange rate) ie £5658. (All the numbers
> are rounded.)
>
> Using the information I found during various web searches (insofar as I
> understood it all) it seemed the problem might be that the account “My
> Shares” was denominated in GBP but “Airbus Group” is denominated in
> Euros. I modified the account structure to the following form:
>
> Assets
>
>  >My Assets
>  >
>  >>My Portfolio
>  >>
>  >>>My Cash
>  >>>
>  >>>>Cash Euros
>  >>>>
>  >>>>Cash Pounds
>  >>>
>  >>>My Eurex Shares
>  >>>
>  >>>>Airbus Group
>  >>>
>  >>>My LSE Shares
>  >>>
>  >>>> Standard GBP denominated shares
>
> etc etc
>
> With “Cash Euros”, “My Eurex Shares” and “Airbus Group” denominated in
> Euros, everything else is denominated in GBPs.
>
> I transferred some funds from “Cash Pounds” to “Cash Euros”; the
> original “Airbus Group” was deleted and a new account was reconstituted
> (there were very few entries) with the purchase made from “Cash Euros”.
>
> The result was that the GBP value of the Airbus shares was (still) shown
> as £3989.
>
> More web searches revealed nothing that I recognised as of relevance.
>
> The only thoughts that I have that may be significant are:
> (A) “Cash Euros” and “Airbus Group”, although denominated in Euros, are
> deep(ish) in a tree denominated in GBPs and, in particular, “Cash Euros”
> [...]

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542