Installment Payment Plans & Bills Due Reminder

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 12:06:50 EDT 2017

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 1:58 AM, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, 8 June 2017 02:35:51 BST Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Not sure if this is possible, but has anyone worked out a way to get the
>> Bills Due Reminder to trigger that a payment is due on a loan or other type
>> of installment plan?
>>
>> Particularly, this issue comes up with insurance that is charged all at
>> once, but paid for in monthly installments. (and then expensed as ‘used’
>> each month)
>>
>> I can’t see any way to generate a bill due reminder.
>>
>> I can enter the full amount of the insurance bill and then just pay the
>> monthly amount and let the Bills Due Reminder subtract it as I go. (showing
>> the full balance due) But that doesn’t show me that any particular monthly
>> payment is due, just the full amount. (or remaining balance)
>>
>> I tried bringing a liability account into the mix, because technically the
>> insurance is paid for me and then I’m paying on an installment plan. (with
>> usually a small monthly service charge for the convenience)
>>
>> But unless there is some magic that happens by setting up the liability as a
>> type Credit Card or type Loan, it doesn’t seem possible to get a reminder
>> for when that installment is due.
>>
>> (type Loan won’t seem to work anyway since it demands an interest rate, no
>> service fees, and insists on compound as opposed to upfront or simple
>> interest)
>>
>> How is anyone else handling this scenario?
>>

> Hi Adrien,
>
> Personally, I don't put the bill through AP, but have a monthly scheduled
> transaction to account for the actual payments (personal accounts only,
> doesn't crop up in my business accounts)
>
> I'm pretty sure that you can't tie a vendor bill to a scheduled transaction -
> it certainly was not possible in the past, it may have changed with the recent
> improvements to process payment.
>
> 0.02
> Maf.

I thought about using an SX with an advanced warning from GC since I’m now structured to pay the liability instead of the bill, however as long as the situation exists that the Since Last Run dialog doesn’t fire unless you run it manually or restart GC every day I won’t get that warning the SX is due. I suppose I’ll just set an alarm in my OS. I’ll file an enhancement request to handle payment plans.

Do loans/mortgages show a due reminder? I don’t see any documentation notes on that either. It seems odd they would not.

Thanks,
Adrien