Inability to correct GBP value for Euro priced shares

Eric Coates eric.coates at sky.com
Fri Jun 9 07:54:41 EDT 2017

Fred

In my original post I included the following "89(the number of
shares)*€73.07(the value of each share)*0.87(the Euro to GBP exchange
rate) ie £5658" and compared that with the value £3989 as reported in
the account listing. At that time I had "many" values in the price
database for both the Euro/pound and AIR.PA valuations.

I have just deleted all old values in both for Euro/pound and AIR.PA and
the valuation in the account listing changed - and is consistent with a
manual calculation of the value.

Problem solved! Well done, that man!

But other questions arise:

(A) Why does the existence old prices stop gnuCash from using the newest
price? Is there any connection with the fact that both Euro/pound and
AIR.PA had manually entered values?

(B) It's not clear from my original post but my "real" version of
gnuCash has a different structure from the version I described. (I made
them so that the reported structure was closer to "best practice" as I
understood it.) Is there a connection between your solution and the
changes I made.

(C) Deleting the old values removes a (sometimes useful) resource. It's
a shame to have to lose it

(D) Should I care if I have a working solution?

I will now go back to my real accounts and using the ideas gathered so
far try to come up with a simpler structure than I've currently got.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed all the time!

Eric