Reconciling an account

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jun 12 17:00:35 EDT 2017

On Monday, 12 June 2017 18:10:47 BST EngineInstitute wrote:
> David:
>
> It is account is under the Liabilities and labeled as a Credit account.
> Note: it shows deposits on left and withdrawals on right. Is that because it
> was originally an income & expense account and I changed it?

Hi ChinaBlue,

This is getting confusing!  So the account is Type: Credit Card ?  If so, mine
show "money I spend" in the Credit Column, (Tot Charge if the "use formal
labels" preference is off), which is the rightmost of the two.  When I pay a
credit card bill from my bank, the CCard accounts shows the transaction in the
prior column, labeled Debit (or Payment)

> Steps taken:
> Down graded the program to 2.4.15 (there is no 2.6.15)

There is.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash %28stable%29/2.6.15/

> No change.
> Opened a new test account to isolate the activity. It is a Credit Liability
> account,

What is a "credit liability" account?  I appreciate you've dropped back to
2.4.x and terminology may have changed since that was current a few years ago,
but I don't recall that as an option for account type.

If you can get 2.6.15 to install, it might save a source of confusion.

> beginning 1/11/17
> Note: New account reflects: Increase on left and Decrease on right

Are Increase | Decrease the column headings?  I see that layout in accounts of
Type:Asset (with "use formal labels" off).  Type:Credit Cards are Payment |
Charge and Type:Liabilities are Decrease | Increase

> Input new data for month 1
> Reassigned payment against the card from the check book. New problem it
> assigns the payment as an increase not decrease.

IMHO, I think you've got the account types mixed up, as I think Derek alluded
in a prior post.  Maybe your expense accounts aren't type Expense, or maybe
the Credit Card is wrongly set in some way.

> My problems seem to be increasing not decreasing.
> Should I delete GnuCash and download a fresh version of 2.4.15?

I would suggest you uninstall 2.4.15 and install  2.6.15 as linked above.
(The reason to use 2.6.15 rather than latest 2.6.16 is that the older version
allows you to change an account's type from the Edit Account dialogue, which
2.6.16 does not permit.)

I've attached a screengrab of my credit card register, showing Friendly labels
and 3 transactions - if it gets through the list it may help if you have
something to compare against? (i'm in double-line, auto-split view by default)

Maf.