Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

Cindy Doughty dbdoughty at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 13:04:33 EDT 2017

Now that I have learned more about the scheme programming language, I have
updated my reports.  Unfortunately I don't know how to submit as a pull
request because I don't know how to include the exported entries in the
gnctime-periods file.  I had submitted the transactions.scm report before
but didn't belong to the gnucash-devel list at the time.

I have attached a revised version of the transaction report I previously
posted along with two new reports that compare current with historic.

The transaction report allows you to:
1. Consolidate transactions  - On the display tab you can select to
consolidate transactions and the report will combine all similar
transactions into one total entry.  By checking and unchecking entries on
the display tab you can change how the numbers are combined - by
description, memo, notes, account.  The date range for the items to be
combined is controlled based on the date range selected on the sorting
tab.  You can combine for an entire year, by month, by week, or by quarter.
So for example instead of having 45 Woolworths entries you would only have
one.

2. Search for specific entries - You can use the find option on the sorting
tab to limit the report to only descriptions containing specific text and
you can limit the amount to a given range such as only amounts greater than
500. You can also use the find command to only find reconciled transactions
or to only find deposits to accounts containing the letters xyz.

3. Adjust the amounts to a different time scale -  You can specify on the
general tab you want all of the entries to be scaled.  By which I mean you
can take the results for a full year and divide it by 365 to see what the
amounts are on a daily basis.  You can also take the numbers for a quarter
and multiply by 4 to see what they would look like on an annual basis.

4. Use pick list to select time period for report - You can easily select a
time period on the general tab.  Such as last quarter, 2nd half of the
year, or the month of January.

5. Multi column display - On the Display tab in the amount drop down box
select multi-column and the report  will display a column for each account

The Compare transactions report adds the capability to compare a specific
time period with another time period or several time periods over a given
range.  For example compare last year with the previous 4 years  or last
week with the same week last year.

Under the budget tab Actual vs Historic report provides another way to
compare current expenses with expenses during a prior time period.  The
options for this report are much simpler and easier to use than the compare
transactions report.

To install, download the attached files and put them into your .gnucash
folder.  In windows for me this is

c:/users/UserName/.gnucash.  Warning if you already have a config.user file
then first put into a different folder and then copy the entries in
config.user into your existing config.user file.

If you have the entry
(load (gnc-build-dotgnucash-path "current-vs-average.scm"))
in your config.user file delete the line or edit the file
current-vs-average.scm and make the following two

changes:
1. at line 3288 change the entry 'none to 'one so it looks like
 (list begindate enddate 'one)))

2. at line 3488 change the entry 'none to 'one
(avg-num-days (round (/ (caddr (car (gnc:getdatedelta (list begindate2
enddate2 'one)))) num-periods)))

Doug Doughty