Transfer query.

Eric Coates eric.coates at sky.com
Tue Jun 13 14:00:38 EDT 2017

Hi Ken

I had a similar problem when I started with gnuCash - and so, it seems,
have lots of other people:

I am guessing that when you look at the tab for your current account two
of the headings are "Debit" and "Credit" and when you pay your salary
into the account the number appears in the "Credit" section. If that is
the case first a word of explanation then the correction, if it isn't
the case stop reading now, you'll just be wasting time!

"Credit" and "Debit" are technical terms that accountants use in a way
somewhat different from "real" people. As a way of understanding this it
may help to think that "ordinary" people tend to think in terms of how a
transaction affects them, accountants think in terms of how it affects
the counter party (when you deposit money in a bank you see it as
crediting you, an accountant sees it as creating a debt the bank owes
you). If anyone knows of an easier/more correct way to explain it I, for
one, would like to hear it

The solution is to click Edit/Preferences and choose the Account tab on
the left side of the window. If I'm right in my guess (no guarantees!)
you'll see the "Use formal accounting labels" is ticked. Untick it and
close the window. Back in the main window close all open tabs and reopen
your current account.

If I'm right in my guess (no guarantees!) the "Debit" and "Credit"
headings will have changed to "Increase" and "Decrease". (Headings in
your credit card tab will also have changed to "Payment" and "Charge").
These heading can be interpreted in an "everyday" sense and ... you'll
see your payments INTO the account appear as decreases and payments FROM
the account appear as increases which is wrong.

I know of no way to automatically correct the entries (someone else
might) so I'm afraid you could be in for quite a bit of work. Sorry.

Take care

Eric