Gnucash usage for small banks and GL derivation rules

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Tue Jun 20 11:32:47 EDT 2017

Hi Andrey,

> 1. Can this software be used for a small business that is a bank /
> financial institution - all accounts have to be flipped from bank's point
> of view e.g. Loans are Assets, Deposits are Liabilities (can the software
> be re-configured as such)?

  Yes, GnuCash can easily handle this. I have been doing exactly that for a few years. You can flip things around if you want, but there is no reason you have to. Loans could be loans the "bank" takes from another institution. Funds loaned out could be recorded as assets. Deposits from clients could be recorded as liabilities.

Best,
John