Tracking Primary Residences

Leo Bolta lbolta at rogers.com
Sun Jun 25 17:07:28 EDT 2017

Excellent!  I'll try tracking the property with periodic valuations in on a
"off books" set of books as you suggest.  Question: I assume that I'll still
need to enter an "Opening Balance" of the property in my standard booking
system, and so by what calculation shall I enter that value?  Shall I enter
the opening balance with an estimate of it's "effective book value" of when
I started GnuCash, which is about 6 months ago OR shall I go back about 6
years and enter an estimate of it's original purchase price, tallied
together with premove-in upgrades and closing costs?

Leo