Tracking Primary Residences

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 02:00:23 EDT 2017

Leo,

I am sorry you were having trouble getting messages to the list. I am glad you got that straightened out.

As to the point of tracking the value of your house, I’ll begin by saying I am not an accountant. However, I *have* been through the precise situation you describe, and I found out through experience the pointlessness of counting the value of my primary residence until it came time to sell that house. All of the interim values I entered as unrealized gains had no relation to the amount of money we ultimately received. The lesson I learned was that all that effort served only to make me feel worried/eager about how much value my house had lost/gained—with no actual effect on the final selling amount (which was neither as much nor as little as I had figured).

This, coupled with the fact that you were asking how to prevent these numbers from skewing your reports, led me to suggest that you not track them in GnuCash. I see from your other reply that you’ve chosen that path anyhow.

Best,
David