accounting for estate?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Jun 26 11:39:38 EDT 2017

Jay,

There is no gnucash organized template for estate accounting. With that
said, gnucash is a general purpose accounting tool, so it is well suited to
estate accounting. I have used to to keep a set of books for an estate
where i was the executor. However, the annual accounting report required by
my attorney, and so I assume the courts in the US, are not available as a
template for gnucash. Instead, I exported the transactions from the
relevant accounts and used a spreadsheet to create the report in the
correct format.

If you are truly an accounting noob, then I strongly suggest you get some
professional help for the estate accounting. I don't know how large the
estate is, or what country you are in, but in the US the executor has a
fiduciary responsibility to the beneficiaries for all the
money/assets/liabilities in the estate. Any mistakes, and you can be sued
and or go to jail. Money can make even the closest of familys fight - and
fighting in court is nothing but a waste of your estate's money. The small
cost of a professional book keeper/accountant who can keep the books and
create the annual report for the estate is peanuts compared to the time you
will need to invest in learning to be the estate accountant.

Good luck!

Mark