File signatures??

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jun 29 11:17:52 EDT 2017

On Thursday, 29 June 2017 13:52:03 BST matt at considine.net wrote:

> In going through the forum, I've identified
>    'trans_guid', "acc_guid', 'split_guid', 'PluginPageAccountTree',
> '<act:id', '<trn:id', '<split:id', 'gnc:account version',
> 'gnc:transaction version', '<trn:split>'
> as likely-unique "markers" for gnucash-related files, showing up for
> example in some .xml.gz files that I have yet to explore.
>
> So I'm hopeful that I can identify a minimum number of files that I can
> manually import or stitch together to get back up and running.
>
> When I do so, I'm happy to detail the process, assuming it's not
> considered too far off topic.

Hi Matt,

xml.gz sounds like a hopeful extension for photorec to have used.

FWIW, the GC file I sent you the head from earlier has this as its tail:

    </trn:split>
  </trn:splits>
</gnc:transaction>
</gnc:book>
</gnc-v2>

<!-- Local variables: -->
<!-- mode: xml        -->

I take it you know about GC's default backup strategy and that you (probably)
have several (at least) similar data files - the usual advice to look for the
newest timestamp probably won't be much help after photorec has played with
the disk... I guess the largest one is probably the one to go for - at least,
largest when un-compressed...

Maf.