Where to save saved data

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jun 29 21:27:42 EDT 2017

> On Jun 29, 2017, at 5:10 PM, John and Diane <sunflowr at theriver.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
> New to gnucash.
> Notice there are many saved data files on desktop after each use of Gnucash. If I put them in a folder named 'Bookkeeping", the next time I try to use gnucash, I get a message the program can't find the data on the desktop. How do I know what files to leave on the desktop and which ones I can put in a folder and which folder? My desktop is covered in the backups at this moment.
> What is the correct way to save all these many, many files so the program can find the data?
> I only use this for keeping the checkbook and credit card ledgers and reconciling them. Not a business.

Just ignore the warning about not being able to find the file and open it from Bookkeeping using File>Open. GnuCash will remember the new location for next time.

GnuCash only cares about the primary file (and the lock file at load time; it should delete the lock file when you shut it down or change books). The others are backups and transaction logs that you may find helpful if something goes wrong.

Regards,
John Ralls