How should I enter values on a budget in gnucash ?

lejohnston lejohnston at dccnet.com
Wed Mar 1 17:55:20 EST 2017

Edward,

Perhaps this is not the Thread to have this discussion but you raise issues I have been struggling with so I am going to jump in.

I recently moved from Quicken to GNUCash and am starting to feel comfortable here. Through 20 years in Quicken I evolved a budgeting system that worked for me. I never budgeted anything for Asset and Liability Accounts.

When I had a Mortgage I did not set up a Liability Account for the Mortgage or an Asset Account for the House. I did budget a monthly amount for the Mortgage. That worked fine for my budgeting purposes.

I did set up an RRSP Account. Then I budgeted an RRSP expense (i.e. how much I was setting aside each month to put into my RRSP). I can see how this is misleading. For instance if I was putting aside $500/month for the RRSP, that was $500 that I did not have available to spend elsewhere, but it was not really an expense as it was actually a transfer to another Asset Account. At the end of the year when I actually put the $6000 into the RRSP account my budget still showed that I had $6000 unspent and I had to manipulate it before I started the new year. In GNUCash it seems it would be easier to budget $6000 into RRSP and not have the Expense:RRSP account at all. Maybe I could have done the same in Quicken. The way the GNUCash budget is laid out that leapt out at me as a possibility, but I decided to start with what I knew from Quicken.

I am hoping to learn how to use GNUCash better.

Larry