How should I enter values on a budget in gnucash ?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Mar 3 05:51:02 EST 2017

Op woensdag 1 maart 2017 09:48:38 CET schreef lejohnston:
> Geert,
>
> I have only been using GNUCash for a month but I am using the Budgeting
> features.
>
> I do not budget for funds moving between Asset and Liability accounts. I can
> not see what purpose that would serve.

Whether this is useful or not was not my question ;)

It's a hypothetical example to illustrate an inconsistency in sign handling in
the budget code. I think you can equally produce it using an expense account
and playing with the Reverse Signs global preference.

> I have been trying to use the Budget Balance Sheet report, but have not
> found it gives me the information I want. I am not sure if it what I am
> doing or a problem with the report. I will look at the Archive and see if I
> can help after I read the posts. I welcome any upgrade to the Budgeting
> functions as it is the main purpose for using GNUCash.

As said in earlier replies I don't know either what purpose the report serves
and whether it's successful in that or not.

And it may disappoint you to hear I am currently not working on the  budget
feature at all. I started asking questions because we received a fix for that
particular report which I'm not sure is fixing the right problem. I want to
send a proper reply to the contributor of this fix for which I need more
information. But other than that I have currently no time available to work on
budgets. Sorry about that. I do think though this discussion is still worth it
to record as much information as possible in bug reports/enhancement requests
now to allow someone in the future to work on this properly.

Geert