Unrealized Gains (Again)

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 15:09:31 EST 2017

Hi,

I am trying to track down errors in the unrealized gain in an IRA mutual
fund that I have owned since 2005.

It starts out with a purchase of 1,373.848 shares for a total of $20,081.54
at $14.62 per share.  This generates a $4.72 (0.02%)discrepancy right off
the bat, as those shares have a value of $20, 085.66.  Then as dividends
are reinvested, more errors accrue, sometimes averaging out, sometimes
not.

I am using average cost for sales, calculated in a separate spreadsheet to
determine the realized gain for sales.  The broker did not then and still
does not report realized gains in this IRA.

After all transactions are entered with realized gains matching the
spreadsheet, I am left with an error of $4.13 in the unrealized gain on
December 31, 2016 when comparing a balance sheet report to the
spreadsheet.  I have the spreadsheet set to show average costs to four
decimal places, which I round off in the realized gain entries in GnuCash.

My question is do I have to live with errors of several dollars in
unrealized gains in large value holdings when the percentage is reasonable
for  1/1000 share resolution?

Or is there some way to reduce the apparent errors?

David C