GnuCash doesn't handle fractional cents properly with tax tables

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:58:06 EST 2017

The "problem" with how to handle fractional cents is certainly not unique
to GnuCash.  As Michael points out, often there are local rules that may or
may not apply when calculating taxes or in any other situation where exact
values may calculate to fractions of a cent, or of any other currency.

Loan repayments come to mind as another common example where users start to
complain when GnuCash disagrees with a financial institution's report.
Generally, when the discrepancy is small enough to be attributed to
rounding, the user has to acquiesce to the financial institutions' report.
A larger discrepancy may indicate a calculation error.

While it would be possible to add code to GnuCash to follow alternative
rounding rules for all cases or for certain types of transactions, I doubt
that there could be a consensus about which rule to apply where.  This
could just make more configuration decisions for users to make at some
point in using GnuCash.  I think that the developers are correct to avoid
going down that rabbit hole.

There is always a way 'fudge' transactions in GnuCash to make the results
match an outside reference when the user thinks it is necessary, so that is
sufficient for even the most fussy user, in my opinion.

David