Owner's Draw setup under Equity group

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 00:08:15 EST 2017

Brian,

Indeed Owner’s Draw is generally a temporary account, when dealing with paper. Temporary accounts are a ‘feature’ of paper books that derives from the need to ‘close the books’ due to the limitations of amount of paper in bound volumes and manual filing systems. Some people confound book closing with accounting controls, but this is generally not the usual case. With the advent of computerized accounting software, you have the option to close or not close ‘the books’ each accounting period. (annually, quarterly, monthly, etc.)

If you do not close, each account remains a running total, however any individual report you run is for a specified time period and so has the flexibility to reflect only the data you want. (for a year, quarter, month, etc.)

There are other threads and topics on the advantages and disadvantages to closing the books vs. not doing so, the primary disadvantage being that you end up with separate files for each closing, which means you can’t run historical reports easily, and can’t run reports for combined periods without export to a spreadsheet or other software.

Can you provide example transactions or balances which illustrate why you don’t think things are working as intended?

-Adrien