Cash Back Rewards

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:22:00 EDT 2017

Certainly, you can use your groceries expense account for rebates. I might
consider using a special contra subaccount for the rebates, though, which
would make it easier to keep track of the rebates as a separate item, and
would make it easier for you to move them around should you change your
mind later. I would do something like this:

Expenses:Food (placeholder account to hold the following two)
Expenses:Food:Groceries (all your normal grocery expenses go here)
Expenses:Food:Grocery Rebate (contra account; all rebates go here)

That arrangement gives maximum flexibility and a lot of information. It's
easy to answer the following questions by looking on the chart of accounts:
How much did I spend on groceries? How much did I obtain in rebates? What
was the net grocery expense?