Bank/CC to Expense, diff currencies

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 20 13:24:01 EDT 2017

Ken Runge <kr at bell.net> writes:

> Thanks for your reply. I did not completely understand your steps but
> they lead me in the right direction. I lost the thread of your
> description at the word "Transfer " in the sentence:
>
> _Enter transaction with today's date Tab Tab Description: Test
> transaction Tab __*Transfer*__: Expenses:Food:Groceries Tab Tab
> Charge(Credit):100 Tab. The Transfer Funds window pops up.__
> _
> as I could not determine if this was part of an actual description or
> a window of some sort.

"Transfer" referes to the "Transfer Account".  In a basic register it's
the "other" account (to balance the transaction).  If you're in an
expanded transaction mode it referes to the account tied to the specific
split on that line.

> My successful, if inefficient, entry process looks as follows:
> (T=Tab)
>
> Date T, T, Enter desc, Tx5, Enter Cr amt (on USD Visa line) $100.00,
> Tx3, load correct exp a/c, T, enter Dr (CND) amt $135.00, T, Transfer
> Window pops up, click on Dr amt at bottom of window, enter (neg)
> -100.00, enter. That works! If you can suggest a refinement which
> would reduce key strokes, please do.
>
> You mentioned considering a USD CC so I thought I would mention what I
> do. I use a Canadian bank (the one that uses a lot of green in their
> logo and has had some bad press this last week to do with employees
> and sales targets).  Anyway, I have a USD chequing account and a USD
> Visa card with them. I transfer CND to the USD on line when I need
> them and pay the USD Visa from the USD c/a, again on line. I get a
> slightly better rate when buying the USD then I would if buying cash
> at a teller and pay no conversion charges of any kind. Been in Florida
> 2 months this year and 3 months each of the last 5 yrs and absolutely
> no problems. Check it out.

Is there any reason not to just convert the expense into your local
currency?