Migration from Quicken 98

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 18:04:21 EDT 2017

This is an issue with GnuCash that is not easy to address at this time.
The developers are very much aware of the need for an equivalent to Quicken
"Classes" and they may be able to implement it sometime after the initial
release of the 2.8 series.  If they get more help, this could happen sooner.

In the mean time most users settle for one of three work-arounds.

1. Abandon classes altogether.
2. Create a hierarchy of classes under accounts or, if so inclined,
accounts under classes(Which I would not do myself).
3. Split the data into multiple files, one data file for each class.

Of course there are a myriad of ways to mix these approaches according to
your preference.

You could try more than one approach as you experiment with your data
before deciding on your final approach as you are planning and testing your
conversion process.

David C