Migration from Quicken 98

david.carlson.417@gmail.com david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 16:00:37 EDT 2017

    There is another thread on the gnucash user maillist about a new transaction report from Doug or Cindy Doughty with about 30 messages.  I do not know how to put a link to it while using my tablet to write this message.
Go through that thread in reverse to find the last revision.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Roger MillsDate: Sun, Mar 26, 2017 1:22 PMTo: 'Christopher Lam';Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org;Subject:RE: Migration from Quicken 98
That sound like a possibility – thanks. How do I go about finding Doug Doughty’s new transaction report? [I am new to GnuCash and to this mailing list – and am still at the stage of needing to satisfy myself that GnuCash will do everything I need before I start using it in anger]. Cheers,Roger  From: Christopher Lam [mailto:christopher.lck at gmail.com] Sent: 26 March 2017 15:51To: Roger MillsCc: gnucash-user at gnucash.orgSubject: Re: Migration from Quicken 98 I would approximate categories by tagging transactions in any of the available free-text fields - description/memo/notes. eg. tag Annual Insurance payment with @holidayhomeThanks to Doug Doughty's new Transaction-Report you will be able to arbitrarily report by searching these fields.But the Standard Reports are not currently able to search similarly.  On 26 March 2017 at 02:11, Roger Mills  wrote:I'm trying to migrate several sets of accounts from Quicken 98 to GnuCash,and would like some advice.I am aware that I need to create an 'account' for each 'category' inQuicken, and that's not a problem.But I also make extensive use of 'Classes' in Quicken, and can't readily seehow to replicate this in GnuCash. As an example, I use classes todistinguish between expenditure associated with my main home and my holidayhome. The expenditure comes out of the same set of physical bank/credit cardaccounts, and involves essentially the same types (Categories) ofexpenditure - insurance, utility bills, maintenance, etc.One possible approach may be to create an hierarchy with an account for eachclass and with sub-accounts, sub-sub-accounts, etc. beneath that to replaceQuicken's categories and sub-categories. But that doesn't really cut itbecause, in Quicken, categories and classes and independent of each otherrather than being hierarchical, and can appear in any combination. If, forexample, I had 8 classes and 10 categories, it appears that I would have tocreate upwards of 80 'accounts' to cover all the combinations. Even then, itmay not achieve the desired result.At various times I may wish to see all expenditure associated with aparticular class regardless of category and, at other times, all expenditureof a certain type (category) regardless of class. Depending on which wayround the hierarchy is arranged, only one of these appears to be possible.Hopefully, I'm missing something, and I would be grateful for any pointersas to what it may be. I would also be grateful for any available casestudies showing how other people have migrated Quicken accounts - which useboth categories and classes - into GnuCash.Many thanks,Roger MillsWarwick - UK_______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing listgnucash-user at gnucash.orghttps://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All. No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com  Version: 2016.0.8007 / Virus Database: 4767/14182 - Release Date: 03/25/17_______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing listgnucash-user at gnucash.orghttps://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.